Forum homeâ€ș The potting shed

Dogs in our gardens

edited July 2022 in The potting shed
How do you guys if any cope with your dogs in the garden?
Ours are only young at 11month and 9 months. As you guessed "butter wouldn't melt in our mouths, however your plants aren't safe😂" 
Trying daily for little runs in garden "but as you built us a roundabout" , "we're going to wizz around as you didn't set a speed limit" đŸŒȘ Once they get taste to start tugging on plants they have to come back in.
One day hopefully it will be Harmony and bliss, especially as so many plants can cause nasty complications 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,019
    Our two were rescue dogs so already 11 months old for the first - looks like a Wheaten terrier - and 2.5 to 3 yrs for the Labrador.   Never a problem in the garden except when the Lab lies down next to me to supervise my gardening and maybe squishes a plant.  Early on we did have to take measures to stop him landing on the sofas straight after a dip in the pond but neither has ever pulled up or eaten plants.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    Our Whippet puppy trashed the garden, but only for the first 6 months. We used dismantled dog pens to fence off two or three no-go areas, which worked well. We did remove some planting, but regret doing that now, as she has grown out of it, and no longer touches anything.

It will be partly breed specific, as some are naturally diggers. However, if you are firm with them and consistent (take them indoors immediately after they do something unacceptable, and keep them there for 5 or 10 minutes), and you give some time for them to mature, you will probably find that it diminishes or goes away completely.

Virtually any young dog owner with a garden has gone through what you are going through but don't be too disheartened by it.
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,690
    My garden is for me, I take Cody to the local park for 'zoomies'. He does of course come into the garden with me, and he will lie in the sun and amble in and out of the house. I don't let him out unsupervised.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,313
    My dog is now well-behaved around plants.
    She's allowed to mooch around on the borders when nothing much is growing, so from late October - March.
    As I see her step onto a border during the growing season I clap my hands and when she looks at me I put on my stern face and shake my head and she knows it's time to keep off - and she keeps off for the rest of the season - mostly.

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,577
    You can distract them with a toy when they're rampaging, make garden time toy time, not plant time.
    And say a sharp 'a' if they're going for a plant, like you do with kids.
    Depends on what your dogs' roles are in the pack/family, there's a whole load of psychology to it though, way too much for here. 
    Jan Fennel is a decent trainer (no bullying type), if you wanted to look her up. 
  • I have found two things help. Firstly I plant a little deeper and firm well in. The I use a mulch of bark. Our dog is usually happy to scrape away at the bark and doesn't get into the soil and the roots. 
  • I'm not worried if they destroyed plants, they grow back, certainly no show garden 😂 Just trying to make it a better place for my Fiancee, somewhere to relax and forget about her health troubles for a while. Just wondering what other people's dogs are like, there still puppy fied at present, only concern I have is some plants could hurt them, that's why we take them away once they start on the plants, we're lucky we have a place nearby where they have a gaint enclosure for dog training 
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 1,260
    Our dog was a pain as a puppy because she was so inquisitive and just had to know what you were doing. We went through a phase when anything I planted was immediately dug up, shook, then deposited at my feet but she grew out of it. She has always had the free run of the place and the more leeway she's been given, the better behaved she's been. Most of the time destruction is a sign that they want attention. 
  • Thanks for all the comments, I shall look into Jan fennel, the little trouble with our two is barking at strange sounds, the smaller one Harper barks at any little noise, getting better now though but if we leave them home alone for a little, they both struggle with anxiety, barking 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,638
    Your two dogs are absolutely gorgeous, they look so happy and content, keen and alert.. they are lucky to have you I think..

Two lovely dogs.. 
    East Anglia, England