Forum home Problem solving

Birds getting trapped in my greenhouse

CasparCaspar LancashirePosts: 29
Hello
We have bird feeders and a bird bath in the garden and with all the greenery in our garden and all our neighbours gardens, we get lots of Robins, blackbirds, sparrows and finches.  We also get the occasional pigeon.  

On occasion, we find a bird has flown into the greenhouse, but can't find it way out.  The poor things are terrified and we gently coax them put to safety (with a few broken tomatoe plant branches along the way. The door is in a corner facing away from everything but us next to a fence where they sometimes sit.  It has louvre windows at the back and 2 opening vents on the roof.

We've even had a baby bird drown in the watering can after flying In there. (I keep a pot on top of this niw just in case.).

I don't want to block the entrance with a fly net, as need the bees and insects to help pollinate things.

Has anyone found a solution that helps the birds stay away ftom the greenhouse door without a screen.

Thanks in advance.

Water, feed, tweak - then start again......... 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,004
    My solution is not to scare the birds. They go in and out of my greenhouse all the time but only get 'stuck' when they see a person and start to panic. I learned to just walk back into the house and the bird would be gone when I came back out a couple of minutes later.
    Very young birds can be a bit of an exception but even then they usually work out the exits without help.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    Nope, I’m afraid it’s a screen (and a watering can left empty and on its side) for me.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • CasparCaspar LancashirePosts: 29
    Tonight I went to close the door and there was a blsckbird on the fence with a worm in it's beak that flew away, as I entered the greenhouse there was a noise and its 'quite well fed baby' was sat on the bench under the louvre window, I have no idea how long it had been there, and usually see them after they have been stuck for goodness knows how long.  I feel so sorry for them when it happens. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    edited 5 July
    I used to walk round to the side where the bird was “stuck”, which was usually the end opposite to the door, and gently wave my arms around a bit. This had the effect of sending the bird away from me and straight out of the door.

But I don’t think you should worry about them. They do find their way out eventually.  

I used to live in a dormer bungalow that had been owned by a bird lover for many years before I moved in.  A robin used to come in through the open kitchen door, hop around the whole kitchen, then go into the hall, up the stairs one that a time and into the bedroom. It then used to go inside the wardrobe and hop along all the hangers. Then it used to reverse the journey. And not a bit of poop left behind. It was clearly used to doing it and was quite happy to be “trapped” in the house.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,004
    The blackbirds don't care here anymore. This one seems to think she owns the place. The odd pot gets knocked over but they never seem to damage the plants. I wish they wouldn't eat all the spiders though.

A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • ShepherdsBarnShepherdsBarn DevonPosts: 338
    You could try a curtain of bird scare tape - I cut lengths and string them up at the door entrance. It does work ... and saves the poor birds from being trapped; even if they do eventually manage to find their way out it doesn't happen until they have crashed into the glass many times.
    What a great photo 'Wild Edges.' thanks for sharing : - ) brightened my evening seeing that!
    You could try a curtain of bird scare tape - I cut lengths and string them up at the door entrance. It does work ... and saves the poor birds from being trapped; even if they do eventually manage to find their way out it doesn't happen until they have crashed into the glass many times.
    I agree, we've watched them from the house, banging the glass in panic, its so sad to watch.  I will give the tape a try, as it shouldn't stop the bees and Insects getting in.  A good solution to try.  Thanks. 
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 133
    Let them in, let them out, It's a learning curve for them. I could write quite a long post about all the animal/human interaction I've had in the last 12 months.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,045
    I get pigeons in my greenhouse sometimes.
    I found an old glitterball in the shed from my disco days :) and hung that up in the g/house - when the sun is out it gives quite a display - very similar to this-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-100-Lightweight-Mirror-Ball/dp/B000KMGZI4/ref=asc_df_B000KMGZI4/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310943659189&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4023946575354361980&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006518&hvtargid=pla-421656193130&psc=1

I also hang CD's up on bits of string around my soft fruit beds - that also works very well keeping the birds away as they twirl around in the breeze
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.