Forum home Plants

Begonia advice

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,906
    @Ilikeplants.  This is what should be picked off,  as in any plant,  it’s job is to set seed  for the future,  once they’ve done that, they think their jobs done and they stop flowering.
    It really depends on what you want though,  lots of people don’t dead head any plants but they will give up sooner than they may otherwise do. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,960
    Updated previous post with label pic.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    @B3. That’s one of the annual types,  all the more reason to dead head it,  late flowering,  give it time,  you may be able to bring it indoors for the winter and survive it,   if not compost bin will be its final resting place.

So there's no point in pinching it the little flower buds, then?
    Only if they have a seed pod behind @B

Thanks @Lyn
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    Thanks Lyn, pinched those out so let’s see how they perform this summer as I’d like it to flower for as long as possible. Mine is nameless but should be a tuber that can be stored over the winter.

no problem jumping in @B3 - I’ve had the houseplant ones before which got leggy and died in the end. The outdoors ones seems to do better for me and yours look like a tuber one too. 
    @B3. Is an annual,  it may grow a corm,   probably not.  They’re just bedding plants, although I’ve had little corms form in the past.  Have to wait and see in the autumn.

It's a bit disappointing. I will use it as a foliage plant to contrast with something else in a container. It can do its little flower thing if it wants. I won't bother trying to save it for next year. Thanks for advice, @Lyn

I also have some white ones that have turned out blowsier than I expected. You just can't win, can you?🙄
    They bloom later,  perhaps that’s just mine,  this is end of August