Forum home Problem solving

Honeysuckle yellowing, not flowering

I’ve looked up past threads here and on other forums about this problem and ‘too dry’ seems to be a common answer. So how come the honeysuckle in my hedge which I didn’t plant which is dry as a dry thing is fine and flowering nicely? And my neighbour’s, same conditions, my friend’s in a red hot courtyard that she never touches/waters do brilliantly and are covered in flowers 🤷‍♀️ 
Say at the moment when it’s not really raining, how often would you water your honeysuckle? Mine is in almost complete shade, just gets a bit at an angle from about 5pm in the summer.
I only water veggies and bedding daily in this hot weather, things like honeysuckle are low maintenance, I thought…! 

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 529
    Honeysuckle likes to be in the sun ,that could be the problem, if it only gets sun in the evening ,maybe it’s not bright enough at 5 pm .Just a suggestion.
  • ellenakirkellenakirk Posts: 17
    bcpathome said:
    Honeysuckle likes to be in the sun ,that could be the problem, if it only gets sun in the evening ,maybe it’s not bright enough at 5 pm .Just a suggestion.
    Well! You know what they say about assuming?! Woodland plant=shady, but you’re right, not suitable for full shade 😞 North is as marked, so I might be struggling for a climber, all the ones on RHS for shade and clay say vigorous 😲 I don’t want something to take over the whole house! There are a few clematis it says do ok in shade, so I might try one of those, thanks 👍🏻😁
    North pic 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,708
    edited 4 July
    Depends on the honeysuckle. We have had ones that my father had in pots for a few years. When he died we took them still in the pots and it wasn't until 1978 that we were able to plant them in the ground when we bought our home. They are still with us and flowering brilliantly every year and the foliage hardly changes over the seasons. They are planted in clay soil, have sun early morning and then late afternoon. No idea which honeysuckle they are but they flower every year and we love them.
    Depends on the honeysuckle. We have had ones that my father had in pots for a few years. When he died we took them still in the pots and it wasn't until 1978 that we were able to plant them in the ground when we bought our home. They are still with us and flowering brilliantly every year and the foliage hardly changes over the seasons. They are planted in clay soil, have sun early morning and then late afternoon. No idea which honeysuckle they are but they flower every year and we love them.
    Thank you, I wondered if different honeysuckles like different conditions 🤔
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,433
    Many like their roots in shade and their heads in sun. Some love to scramble through a hedge and some tolerate drought much better than others. Try lots more water and see if it bucks up. Mine are half dead for lack of water. I've seldom seen such prolonged drought with endless sun and wind.