Forum home Plants

Stunted lithops

Bee12Bee12 Posts: 3
I bought some lithops plants around three years ago. The rest of the plants are thriving well, however this one appears to have multiple years worth of growth and has been stuck like this for a year or so. I have moved it into its own pot and have not watered it while it has been stunted like this as the lower leaves have not fully dried out. Any ideas how I might bring this back to normal growth? I have been unable to find this problem anywhere online. 
Thanks! 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,011
    You have to let the old leaves dry out completely before the first watering of the year or they start to absorb water again and don't die off properly. The soil needs to be at least 50% grit and very free draining. That soil looks pretty terrible so it might be worth a repot.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Bee12Bee12 Posts: 3
    You have to let the old leaves dry out completely before the first watering of the year or they start to absorb water again and don't die off properly. The soil needs to be at least 50% grit and very free draining. That soil looks pretty terrible so it might be worth a repot.
    Yes I am aware not to water until the old leaves have  shrivelled up, problem is they have stopped doing this. It is in a cactus mix for drainage but I can think about repotting.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,011
    How much sun are they getting? Sometimes we can struggle to give them sufficient light in the earlier months of the year to shed the old leaves properly. If they're on a windowsill then that might be part of the problem.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Bee12Bee12 Posts: 3
    How much sun are they getting? Sometimes we can struggle to give them sufficient light in the earlier months of the year to shed the old leaves properly. If they're on a windowsill then that might be part of the problem.
    They are on an East(ish) facing windowsill. I've recently moved to the North of England so sun isn't in abundance here! 
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 514
    There’s your answer