Forum home Plants

Good garden center's in Lincolnshire

Paul060Paul060 Posts: 33
Hi, i am looking for somewhere where you have a good range, but also can pay a bit more and get well grown shrubs, hedging and trees.
I live in Grimsby but will travel.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,049
    @Paul060 Sometimes the very best places to buy for quality are the nurseries rather than the garden centres. Not what you are looking for but Potterton's at Mkt Rasen is an old established nursery for all things small!
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,418
    My Aunt who lives in Sleaford visits Pennells (they have 2 other branches in the county).
    Apparently Whisby garden centre has a very good cafe with nice views  :) She couldn't advise about the trees though.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,653
    Brigg garden centre (used to be called Frosts I think) is nice (and big, large selection if I remember rightly) but the plants are quite pricey. The little nursery by the level crossing at Appleby was good last time I went (spring 2021) but had a smaller range, no cafe or general tat for sale.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,653
    If you want to travel a bit further, maybe give Walker's at Blaxton a ring and ask what they have in the sizes you're looking for. They used to have a lot of trees and shrubs but I haven't looked recently (I usually want perennials). Markham Grange used to be OK but that's the other side of Doncaster from you (by the A1) and I've not been there for several years so I don't know what it's like these days. It used to be more of a nursery but had become more garden centre-y last time I went.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569
  • Paul060Paul060 Posts: 33
    Thanks all, will check some of these out.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,556
    edited 3 July
    Waterside at Baston S. Lincs. Well tended well-grown plants and a wider variety than those usually stocked by the ‘chains’ etc. 

https://www.watersidegardencentre.co.uk/ 

I frequently buy from them and load the car up when visiting in-laws in the area, rather than from the places local to me around Norwich. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,569
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 2,049
    @Paul060 Maybe too far but I have been to Greenmile Trees, Retford to buy a tree in memory of the person who set up the local gardening club. It was a few years ago and there was lots of choice.
    Funds allowed a tree planting ceremony and someone from Greenmile did the honours by planting it.
    My absolute favourite nursery is Rassells near Stamford.