Forum home Problem solving

Garlic bulbs

Hello, 
can anyone tell me why the elephant garlic bulbs that I harvested and have left to try have started to turn green? Also are they salvageable or shall I compost them? They were harvested a little early due to showing signs of white rot so I wondered if this may be linked to it? Many thanks. 

• StephenSouthwestStephenSouthwest Southwest EnglandPosts: 374
    I'd be inclined to salvage anything green and healthy for the freezer...
  • Should I continue to let them dry out or will it not make a difference to them now? 
  • MikeOxgreenMikeOxgreen PenninesPosts: 151
    Only a guess, but have you put them somewhere dry? Have you harvested them too early?
  • NGLittleSeedlingsNGLittleSeedlings Posts: 720
    edited 3 July
    Yes they’re in a greenhouse drying out and I harvested them when half the leaves had turned brown. 
    Yes, but were the bulbs green when you harvested them?
  • No they weren’t they have changed to green since harvesting 😕
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,710
    Our bulbs have been very poor this year and harvested them this week. All green growth gone and the bulbs were in small cloves rather than in a clump. But still something to use.
    Our bulbs have been very poor this year and harvested them this week. All green growth gone and the bulbs were in small cloves rather than in a clump. But still something to use.
    What do you think that was down to?
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,710
    Probably due to the dry spells we have had even though they had been watered but there is nothing better than rain.
  • I guess so, just a shame that’s all as I don’t want them to go to waste!