Forum home Problem solving

Plant growing in lawn

7 years ago we took up the old turf (there were no plants) added 36tons top soil, re turfed and have looked after the lawn (well husband has) ever since. However,  we've had the occasional growth - all the same - which we've dug out (probably not well enough) and now we're getting growth with really quite strong , woody roots.  Can you help identify what this is and what should we do to get rid of it?

• RubeeRubee Posts: 7,947
    edited 1 July

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170
    I think it is a plum or cherry  coming up from the roots of a nearby tree.  Is there a fruit tree or flowering cherry within 15 ft or so?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Nettie DNettie D Posts: 51
    Yes, our neighbour has a plumb tree that they've grown up against our adjoining fence - it's well established  but not particularly well looked after. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170
    I have similar shoots coming up from the roots of the plum.  If they are in the lawn and it is mowed regularly  they won't get far. If you spot weedkiller it with glyphosate, it is likely to translocate back to the tree and kill that.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,549
    Yes … suckers from a prunus tree so probably from the plum. Regular mowing will control them. There’s not a lot else you can do … using a weedkiller will kill the tree and trying to dig them out is a never ending job and will ruin the lawn. 
    Happy mowing 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nettie DNettie D Posts: 51
    Thank you , this is so helpful. We'll do as advised and keep mowing 🙂