Forum home Plants

Eleagnus new growth leaf curl

Hi I have quite a large Eleagnus that has developed leaf curl on the new growth only. No sign of any pests would be grateful for any advice? Thanks

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,021
     It could be a water issue or simply the new leaves developing. If it is a very large plant I would be inclined to leave it. Watering mature plants can cause more harm than good.
    RETIRED GARDENER, SOUTH NOTTS.
    Building a garden is very personal. It's not quite the same as installing a boiler.
    James Alexander Sinclair 
    Should have said new leaves are plain green.
    Building a garden is very personal. It's not quite the same as installing a boiler.
    James Alexander Sinclair 
  • The green only shoots are more vigorous than the variagated ones so unless you want a much larger (dull) shrub then cut them out.
    Southampton 
    Yes you can have green branches and they are common on Eleagnus.These should be cut out. Also the new leaves are also green when they first open.
    James Alexander Sinclair 
  • Thankyou for the comments. This shrub is approximately 6ft high and I transplanted it about 4 weeks ago with a large root ball. It’s been watered well a couple of times each week. The new growth looked OK until recently then started to curl like this so I’m not sure if its overwatered or underwatered.
    I would sat without doubt underwatered.
    James Alexander Sinclair 
  • Thanks again for coming back to me I was beginning to suspect that but was paranoid about over watering. 
    @paulnUVW0RJpe You won't overwater it at this time of year.
    James Alexander Sinclair