Forum home Problem solving

Plums beginning to go purple to soon (?)

I have a dwarf plum in a pot. The plums are beginning to go purple, but are still small and hard. There is also amber coloured sticky stuff oozing out of some of them. Any ideas? I am afraid that because of a really bad bout of Covid followed by a bereavement, I did not feed and water it as much as I should have.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,161
    Do you have a photo?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    I’m sorry to hear about your troubles.  But your absence from the garden has nothing to do with the plum problem.

I guess that if you cut one of the fruits open you will find a little maggot inside.  That will be the cause of the plum turning colour.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 578
    edited 27 June
    Thanks.
    No maggot. The colour is more purple/plum coloured than brown as in the photo. Sorry the second one is out of focus. The orange dot is the resinous stuff. Some of the plums are green, but hard with shrivelling skin. Very disappointing. I lost all my cherries to the birds because otherwise occupied organizing a funeral etc when I should have been netting them, but I was taking consolation (from the loss of cherries) in the very promising proto-plums.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,550
    Hmmm,

take a look here

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Not terribly conclusive then...! It could be lack of watering, then, I suppose, but I have been on top of things for the last 6 weeks or so. It probably needs potting on, really. It's a dwarf one, so a pot is ok, and it is in quite a big one, but... if it goes in a much bigger pot, it will not be moveable, which husband will not be pleased about (for grass cutting purposes)! Will have to think on this. But that's something for later, of course.

Thanks very much, @pansyface
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,572
    Is the brown end hard or soft?  It looks a bit like brown rot fungus...  

Re the blobs of resin:  my Victoria plum often had some.  I wouldn't worry about those, unless there are lots on most of the fruit.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    I guess it could be. As I said, the colouration was not brown but purple, as if the plums were trying to ripen. Sorrry I chucked it out. Could go and squeeze another when I get home tonight! It feels like there is nothing I can do, really.