Forum home Problem solving

Need help please with ailing Japanese Willow Tree

We are in Toronto, Canada. This still gorgeous and well loved Japanese Willow tree has holes in the leaves, but also in bark and wood.

What is going on? Is there a remedy for this ?

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,269
    Can you post some photos to give us a few more clues please?  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• dottywdottyw Posts: 14
    Sorry, I don't understand why I cannot attach a picture. Tried several times. Not working.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,269
    Click on the landscape icon and follow the instructions. If your picture doesn’t appear it may be too large … reduce the size to around 1MB … that usually does the trick. 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for your help, dovefromabove! The pictures are posted now.  

I am posting this for a friend who initially told me it is a Japanese Willow tree but now confessed she is not sure about its name...still concerned about how to deal with the issue. In the meantime I notice that the tree next to this tree, an elder tree, also seems to have similar problems with the bark 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,562
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/bark-beetles-on-trees.htm
    Might this be of any use?  I don't think we have such beetles in UK or Ireland (yet...)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Oh oh, not good, but quite possible, as we do have those around here...thanks anyways!