Forum home Problem solving

Peace lily flowering

My neighbour split her peace lily and gave me a piece which has grown very well but mainly leaves with the occasional flower, I think I’ve had only 2 flowers in 2 years. Any ideas please on how to get it to flower more?

• msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 347
    I've got the same problem with my peace lily, which has very healthy foliage but stingy on blooms. I've read somewhere that it likes the soil moist so I may try watering it a bit more and see what happens.

Maybe this helps too:

It is not uncommon to find a peace lily not blooming, even when it is a healthy plant. They are native to the tropical Americas and found in dense forests where dappled sun is the chief source of light. They need humus rich soil and moderate moisture. The optimum growing conditions are between 65 and 86 degrees F. (18-30 C.). Warmer conditions encourage blooming. The white spathe is actually not the flower but a modified leaf that encloses the actual flowers, which are tiny and insignificant. A peace lily won’t flower unless it is moist and warm enough with gentle lighting.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Peace Lily Not Blooming: Reasons A Peace Lily Never Flowers https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/peace-lily/peace-lily-blooming.htm
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,953
    @Digging-it   I have one which has been in a pot for years. It has flowered once for me since I bought it and that was after I had given it an all purpose liquid plant food with a well known name. I can only imagine that it is lacking the nutrients in order to produce flowers and I have heard they don't like being repotted so I am loathe to do that as I don't want to lose it. Your neighbour must have repotted theirs in order to be able to split it. Maybe the repotting theory is a myth. 
    I'm sure there will be other members on the forum who can give you advice as to how they deal with theirs and how often they flower.  
    According to Google it should flower in Spring and possibly Autumn if you are lucky.  :)
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 948
    I've got 2 of these, one new and smallish one, and a huge one I've had for years.

They both flower throughout the year. The big one has about 8 flowers just now, but can have as many as 12. The smaller one just has a couple.
    Every month I give them a big drink of diluted comfrey liquid which seems to do the trick.
    I expect that tomato feed would do the same job.

Worth a try.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Digging-itDigging-it Posts: 82
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll try watering it more, I usually only water when the leaves start to droop. I’ll also top the pot up with good compost and give it an extra feed. Fingers crossed it’ll repay me in beautiful blooms. 
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 213
    edited 30 June
    Thanks, @ Bee witched.  Very useful. After no flowering since buying mine, that looks like a viable solution. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero