Forum home Problem solving

Parakeets have stripped my fruit trees

This week it only took 3 days for a flock ( thuggery/ gang) of these birds To strip my plum trees and cherry trees here in Guildford. I am so upset, I can’t net these trees as they are too big and have given up in previous years on the cherry. But the plums looked to be [email protected] this year and the birds didn’t even eat them, as they were not ripe but instead seemed to vandalise the tree for the hell of it. So ground knee deep in unripe green plums.

wht to do for next year? They are officially a pest, but since I don’t on a gun.......

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544
    Come and live in Derbyshire.

Then you can jump up and down and swear at the bullfinches, the wood pigeons and the grey squirrels instead.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,561
    Could you net just a few of the lower branches?  Sometimes I reckon you just have to grit your teeth and accept that the best you can do is share with the wildlife...

This year I have a total of 2 apples on my 4 trees (one of which is a 10m tall cooking apple), because @pansyface's bullfinches decided to have a holiday in Ireland and ate all the flower buds in early spring.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 550
    Sparrows did the same thing to us here. We fed the little blighters all winter as well but they still decided to strip all the flowers and buds off my new amelanchier, 4 apple trees and a viburnum, for no other apparent reason than vandalism.
    I don't think you can do anything but just hope it doesn't happen next year. 
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 548
    If you net, you will injure or kill birds. Is it worth it for a bit of fruit?
    They're just doing what they know how to do, there's no malice or wanton vandalism going on.
    We share our gardens with all the wildlife, the birds strip our cherry tree every year, it would be futile to get riled about it, so we don't. I'm happy that the tree is feeding our much needed wildlife.
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 176
    My dad used to tie old CDs from the tree branches. The reflective surface deterred the birds. You need quite a few though! 
  • Slow worm I am with you on the wildlife front, but parakeets are not native to uk and scare away the smaller birds which I am happy to feed with cherries! It’s the vandalism that is irritating. At least eat the plums (and the plum fly lava that would probably be in them anywayJ...sigh.
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
    I feel for you! Must be so frustrating. Have you thought about hanging CDs in the trees as a bird scarer? Or for something more prettier (depending how much you miss your fruit), from the place on the internet that begins with 'A' for under £15:
    "16 Pack Bird Repellent Wind Twisting Reflective Scare Rods 12 Inch Effective and Attractive Hanging Bird Repellents (Silver)"

Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 548
     happy_18mDZwQC2R said:
    Slow worm I am with you on the wildlife front, but parakeets are not native to uk and scare away the smaller birds which I am happy to feed with cherries! It’s the vandalism that is irritating. At least eat the plums (and the plum fly lava that would probably be in them anywayJ...sigh.
    Where are you to have so many parakeets? I've never seen any wild ones! They'll probably be around here at some point though.
  • Jenny_AsterJenny_Aster In the Cambs FensPosts: 527
    First time I saw them was at Brentford... couldn't believe it. I'm pretty sure they will be spreading.
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am! 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,292
    The trouble is, they're not stupid like pigeons.
    I used to be able to scare them off by rattling the washing line like the conductor on the Clapham omnibus. Now they just sneer at me.
    In London. Keen but lazy.