Forum home Problem solving

Leggy pansies

I buy violas or pansies every year for pots, but they always go leggy very quickly, no matter what soil or position/aspect they're in, what am I doing wrong, and can I cut them back mid flowering?

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 414
    Leggy, but still flowering? A photo would help.
    I find if you squeeze them in too much, they grow tall too out compete everything else, give them some space and they spread.

Yes, I cut mine down, give them a few weeks and they should pick up again.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,208
    If you are using fresh compost, don't feed them as well, there'll be enough nutrients in the compost to keep them going.  Overfeeding can cause them to bolt.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 1,925
    edited 25 June
    They don't like warm weather. Better grown in the colder months. I never feed them
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 2,141
    I've cut 2 pots back today as they were getting leggy. I do this every year and they grow back and last until late autumn. 

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 548
    Thank you all.
    I never feed them. One pot is in last year's compost, one is in garden soil. I don't think they're overcrowded, there's plenty of space between each plant, but I will check the roots. I keep them shaded in the afternoon.
    I'll chop them back and put them somewhere cooler though. 👍

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122
    Cool and damp is the preferred site. The main problem with that is that it's also the preferred site for slugs  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 548
    Fairygirl said:
    Cool and damp is the preferred site. The main problem with that is that it's also the preferred site for slugs  :D
    Thanks 👍
    I copper tape the pots, one was in Slug Central for a couple of years with no bother, hurrah! 😄