Forum home Problem solving

Advice on my yucca

Hi 
I have a reasonably sized yucca in my garden, how long it’s been there I don’t know as we only moved here a year and a half ago, my question is do I let the dead or yellowing leaves drop or do I tidy it up myself if so when is the best time to do it? 
Thanks in advance 

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,226
    Your plant looks in good order but you can remove the yellowing/browning leaves at any time without harming the plant.  There's also a fading flower stalk there which you can also remove to tidy up the plant.  Sometimes the leaves will come away easily by pulling with your hand.  If there's any resistance, use a sharp pair of secateurs. 

You could also consider giving your plant an early summer feed in the form of a mulch of organic material such as garden compost, farmyard manure or soil conditioner, plus some extra watering if there's no rain.  (It's probably in a bit of a rain shadow being close to the wall.)
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,965
    Your 'Yucca' is actually Cordyline australis ; nothing to do with the genus Yucca whatsoever ; probably more closely related to Asparagus .
    Good advice above though ; another point worth remembering is if during a particularly severe Winter your plant may collapse if the stem gets too frosted . Simply cut off at the base and it will readily regenerate in early Summer .
  • leeali86leeali86 Posts: 70
    Paul B3 said:
    Your 'Yucca' is actually Cordyline australis ; nothing to do with the genus Yucca whatsoever ; probably more closely related to Asparagus .
    Good advice above though ; another point worth remembering is if during a particularly severe Winter your plant may collapse if the stem gets too frosted . Simply cut off at the base and it will readily regenerate in early Summer .
    Oh ok it’s just when I used my app to identify it I got this?
  • leeali86leeali86 Posts: 70
    Your plant looks in good order but you can remove the yellowing/browning leaves at any time without harming the plant.  There's also a fading flower stalk there which you can also remove to tidy up the plant.  Sometimes the leaves will come away easily by pulling with your hand.  If there's any resistance, use a sharp pair of secateurs. 

You could also consider giving your plant an early summer feed in the form of a mulch of organic material such as garden compost, farmyard manure or soil conditioner, plus some extra watering if there's no rain.  (It's probably in a bit of a rain shadow being close to the wall.)
    Thank you for the great advice 👍
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145
    Yes - Cordyline. Completely different. That's the problem with these apps  ;)
    Just remove dead foliage. That's normal, as it's how they grow - the old foliage gets discarded as it produces it's main trunk and the newer foliage  :)
    If it's happy, there isn't much need to do anything else. It'll regenerate if the situation happens that @Paul B3 describes. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....