Forum home Plants

Sorry for intruding

YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,043
I don't normally post on here but I am having a real problem with blackspot this year.  I have load of roses but it's not normally a problem.  Is it a particularly bad year or am I just unlucky.  They have been fed, well watered and mulched.  I even clear away any old leaves in late winter/early spring.  
Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,025
    You're not intruding @Yviestevie - you're welcome here!   :)
    I think wet and warm is what blackspot spores like... in fact, that's ideal conditions for a lot of fungal infections.  I'd guess you've just been unlucky with the weather, if you've not been doing anything different from usual.  I'm by no means a rose expert though, so perhaps @Nollie might see this and comment...

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Why would you be intruding?
  • @Yviestevie , I don't have a lot of roses, and all my plants are in pots outside---but this year I have a lot of blackspot and other fungal diseases vs normal ( ie not just on roses). If it is any consolation, I volunteer at some of the Royal Parks and they too seem to be suffering worse than normal , so you are not alone! 
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,051
    You are very welcome Yviestevie, that’s why we are all here, to help each other..

It seems to be a bad year for fungal diseases all-round this year and changeable weather has really not helped at all. So welcome to the rest of the black spot club, I am a very active member! Keeping good airflow around roses with nothing overhanging them helps and picking off the worst leaves, but tbh, once you’ve got it, it’s hard to get rid of as the spores float around..
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,043
    It's comforting to know I'm not alone.  Don't want to resort to spraying but it's so disheartening to see the state of the plants.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 212
    Good to know it's a bad year for fungal diseases all round. I have several previously totally healthy plants suffering from downy mildew, some with powdery mildew and I even had rust on my rose (although I caught it early and removed the leaves). I've not had any major issues with these before but this year they're really taking hold. No blackspot yet so fingers crossed! Hope your roses are OK, @Yviestevie
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,140
    We've got some here tho not much yet @Yviestevie and I've been considering getting some purin de prêle which is a concoction made from marestail/horsetail and used as a spray.   The French use it for all sorts of fungal problems including peach leaf curl and tomato/potato blight.

However, I also found a report by gardendesign.com that says:
    A Cornell University researcher demonstrated that a mixture developed for powdery mildew—1 tablespoon of baking soda mixed in a gallon of water, with a bit of horticultural oil or liquid soap added to help it cling to the leaves—is also effective for reducing the spread of black spot.

That will be my backup plan.   
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 1,416
    Welcome Yviestevie!
    I don't have roses, but for the past 3 summers I've had more than my fair share of mildew on lots of plants - I thought it was because I was spray watering in the evenings, but it's not. I'm sorry I can't help, but you're not alone! 
  • NollieNollie Posts: 7,051
    It has been an unusually hot start to summer too (here it feels like August) and roses do need far, far more water than you think, so if you haven’t seriously upped your watering game to compensate, do so now - a dry at the roots, thirsty rose is more susceptible to fungal diseases.

I don’t spray either and can’t use horticultural oils as it’s far too hot and foliage fries even on dull days.
    Mountainous Northern Catalunya, Spain. Hot summers, cold winters.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,427
    Hello stranger, hope you're well. I normally get dreadful blackspot, inspite of doing everything you're meant to, hardly any this year, just one unscented climbing rose,we inherited.