Forum home Problem solving

Unhappy Sarcococca hookeriana

apcardyapcardy Near the coast in Hampshire.Posts: 7
Morning, any thoughts on why my Sarcococca hookeriana is looking like this and what I should do with it? My initial thoughts were that it got too dry and possibly some wind damage but I’m not sure.
Should I cut off the dying/damaged leaves and stems or just leave them? All suggestions gratefully received. 
Many thanks
Andrew

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 578
    Does it get a lot of sun?
    In my experience they prefer a bit of shade.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/search?query=Sarcococca

East Anglia
  • apcardyapcardy Near the coast in Hampshire.Posts: 7
    Thanks for your reply Asarum. It had been in a bit of sun so have now moved it to a shaded spot. When we first put it where it was in the photo it was in the shade but as the sun got higher in the sky it was not in the shade so much. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,811
    I agree, they're not sun-lovers.
    Do you give it a feed now and then? They're not hungry plants but will need some feed now and then. Seaweed extract would suit them well - about once a month during the growing season
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,563
    I grow mine in the ground in deep shade. Soil is clay. The scent would probably be stronger with more sun but I can still smell it on the air in Winter.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,621
    We have 2 in different parts of the garden. One is in shade until (this time of the year) noon while the other is in full sun. Both are in clay soil and the scent is fabulous. Having them in pots does mean that they will dry out quickly especially with the heat we have had over the last few weeks. As others have said if you can move them to a shadier area I think they would appreciate it if you can't put them in the ground.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,502
    I agree re the sun. I had one in the shade of a Laburnum, since the Laburnum blew over in a gale the Sarcococca is very yellow in appearance
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,316
    I had one that used to turn yellow like that despite being in a fairly shady place. It's been much happier since I took it out of the pot and planted it in the ground.