Forum home Problem solving

WALNUT TREE MYSTERY

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,350
edited 23 June in Problem solving
We have a walnut tree, about fifteen years old, that has never flowered but has always looked fairly happy in a sheltered spot in the garden. A nice tall tree just to have in the garden. No problem for us and we hardly pay it any attention.

Today, I noticed that quite a few bits of the new growth were hanging down and looking dead.  It’s not been windy lately.

I managed to get the tree lopper out, stretched to its ultimate length, and snipped off two bits that I could reach.

Here are a couple of photos. What do you think is going on? I have never seen holes gouged out of twigs where the leaves join them like that and I’ve never seen the leaves still hanging on by long threads of dead bark like that. The little nubs of cut off leaf stalks were not my doing.

OH says squirrel damage. I say why?

Any other ideas?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,427
    It could well be squirrels @Pansyface, do you have any young ones about?

We do, and the b.....s are busy trying to eat and investigate anything they come across, including my rose buds and tiny apples. Fortunately they don't seem to have yet found my strawberries but I'm sure that's only a matter of time.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,350
    Squirrel heaven here, Lizzie. ☹️

Yes, we think it’s them. Little b#######s.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.