Forum home Wildlife gardening

Flowers not attracting pollinators

I was given some cosmos flowers (grown from seed collected from last year, which were grown from seed from the year before, etc), but the bees etc aren't interested WHATSOEVER! However they are all over my poppies, lavender etc. I wonder if the cosmos has been overbred, or has lots it's potency? Or perhaps they prefer the small of my other plants!

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,882
    Bees are not the only pollinators, and pollinators are not the only useful insects that we need to encourage
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,482
    What colour are the cosmos? As RG says, there are loads of types of pollinators, some of them micro, such that you might not spot them. If the blooms are white, they might be more interesting to night fliers.
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,919
    Agree with @raisingirl A lot of news/info/advice often concentrates on Bees and the other myriad insects don't always get a look in.
    As with most environmental issues, it helps to take an overall view if you can. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,514
    I found that hover flies like cosmos,  the bees will go for what they like best first, so lavender would be their first choice. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,482
    As we often discuss here, what animals go for first, depends on what else is on the immediate menu. Most of what goes on isn't visible, one way or another.
  • hiacedrifterhiacedrifter Posts: 35
    When I said "pollinators" read "insects". I just meant I hadn't seen a single insect on the cosmos despite watching them intently. I wasn't saying non pollinators are inferior.
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 553
    I never see a single pollinator on my nemesias either, so I'm afraid I'm as stumped as you!
    Lyn said:
    I found that hover flies like cosmos,  the bees will go for what they like best first, so lavender would be their first choice. 
    I did see a hoverfly casing out the joint earlier! And an ant chasing a black/yellow lady bird :)
    Fire said:
    What colour are the cosmos? As RG says, there are loads of types of pollinators, some of them micro, such that you might not spot them. If the blooms are white, they might be more interesting to night fliers.
    White, pale pink, dark pink.