Forum home Fruit & veg

No blossom on my columnar apple tree

I planted this tree in 2016 and it had one apple on it - and it hasn't produced any blossom since.  It's self fertile and it also has a big Spartan apple tree close by, which always produces plenty of fruit.  The tree looks very healthy and has lots of leaves - just no blossom/fruit.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,498
    I've never heard of this variety so did a quick qoogle search which said it was 'heavy cropping'.  You planted it in 2016 which makes makes it at least 7 years old, assuming it was a maiden in 2016.....have to say with no blossom in that time it seems like a dud to me. Maybe best to cut your losses and plant another better variety.  
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,300
    I agree .Get rid and get another one. Well done for being so patient but it’s not going to do anything now I shouldn’t think. 
  • No sign of any blossom since 2016.  Only one apple which was on there when I got it, nothing since.  Lots of healthy leaves.  As I said, it's a source of amusement now for family and friends so I'm not too worried after all this time, I just hoped there was something that might help - one last effort.  I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you. 
  • It's not in a pot but I'll do as you say- it's worth a go.  Thanks very much for your help.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,573
    Column trees have to be pruned in a certain way to get fruit. I planted some, and it was only when I gave them their head so to speak, that I got any fruit. They look like normal trees now.
  • You've all been so helpful. I'm going to try all of these.  Thank you