Forum home Fruit & veg

No blossom on my columnar apple tree

I planted this tree in 2016 and it had one apple on it - and it hasn't produced any blossom since.  It's self fertile and it also has a big Spartan apple tree close by, which always produces plenty of fruit.  The tree looks very healthy and has lots of leaves - just no blossom/fruit.  Does anyone know why?  Thanks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554
    Do you ever see flower buds? Or does the tree not even produce those? Or are there buds but they drop off? Or disappear?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,245
    I've never heard of this variety so did a quick qoogle search which said it was 'heavy cropping'.  You planted it in 2016 which makes makes it at least 7 years old, assuming it was a maiden in 2016.....have to say with no blossom in that time it seems like a dud to me. Maybe best to cut your losses and plant another better variety.  
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 542
    I agree .Get rid and get another one. Well done for being so patient but it’s not going to do anything now I shouldn’t think. 
    edited 16 June
    I’d still like to know if it produces flower buds. If it does, there could be a reason why they aren’t opening.
  • No sign of any blossom since 2016.  Only one apple which was on there when I got it, nothing since.  Lots of healthy leaves.  As I said, it's a source of amusement now for family and friends so I'm not too worried after all this time, I just hoped there was something that might help - one last effort.  I really appreciate everyone's input, thank you. 
    Is it in a pot or in the ground?

Either way, it’s an expensive thing to just ditch, so it would be worth giving it a couple of more years but really feed it well with a phosphorus/phosphate fertiliser to stimulate flower production.

Especially if it is a pot.

• It's not in a pot but I'll do as you say- it's worth a go.  Thanks very much for your help.
    Yes, give it plenty of flower food over the summer.

Then in the autumn when the leaves have dropped send us another close up photo of the stem and we might be able to identify some flower buds for you.🙂
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,172
    Column trees have to be pruned in a certain way to get fruit. I planted some, and it was only when I gave them their head so to speak, that I got any fruit. They look like normal trees now.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,172
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3