Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberry plant drooping

fieldnatasha1fieldnatasha1 Posts: 19
edited June 2022 in Fruit & veg
My strawberry hanging basket was doing great started getting flowers on this and 2 mornings ago it suddenly drooped I don’t know whether it’s under watered/too much watered/too much sun? It literally looks like something has fell on it!!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,963
    Do you have a plastic liner in it?  If not, underwatering.  Those baskets are impossible to keep moist otherwise.  Large plant for a small bit of soil.  Submerge the bottom of the basket in a bucket or washing up tub and let it soak for about 10 or 15 minutes, then leave to drain.  You'll probably need to do that daily.
    Utah, USA.
  • No it doesn’t have a liner in it. Would you replant it? Thank you for your response 
  • LynLyn Posts: 22,846
    If you cut a compost sack or other thick plastic to fit inside the coir then prick some holes around the side about 2 to 3” up from the base,  not in the bottom, it should recover. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thank you or just I put it in ones of these instead with no liner then?
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 53,910
    They need lots and lots of water, and good soil. I'd take that coir stuff out altogether - it's just taking up room that could be soil instead  :)
    The plastic with drainage holes, as described, is what's needed, although I think you'll find it'll be quite difficult to keep moist enough in there. It's a big plant for such a small place, as already said.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Would you plant it in a bigger container maybe instead, (not sure because of drainage in a bigger container if it hasn’t got any drainage) as at the moment it is one whole plant so easy to transfer if needed. Thank you for your response 
    I'd have that in a pot - much easier, and it would have better access to soil/nutrients. They need a decent amount of feeding to do well. I grow most of mine in pots.    :)
    Whatever you plant it in - it'll need drainage. If you have a pot that doesn't have any, that's no use. You'd need to make holes in it  :)

• I know what you mean on the hunt for a plant pot with drainage now big enough!!😂🙈🍓
  • Is it brought with just the holes in the bottom of the plant pot please? This one has plant pots 
    Sorry- I don't really understand your initial sentence in that post.
    That seems expensive.
    You can get pots almost anywhere - GCs, DIY stores, supermarkets etc. It doesn't even have to be a specific pot for plants. There are ornamental storage boxes which would make good planters. There's some in our local s'market which look like basketweave. I've often thought they would be quite nice   :)

You often have to make the holes yourself, and that kind of pot will have marks in the base to indicate where to make them. You can do it with a drill or even just a screwdriver or chisel etc.