Shaded back of the garden - progress
Further to my post in May, thanks to folks here, I was encouraged and supported to tackle the jungle at back of the garden.
Progress thus far - managed to remove fallen branches from next door’s conifers. Did lots of weeding and collecting 20 sacks of leaves (probably 20 more to go). The hardest task is and remains the Laurel tree. I managed to lift the crown, looks much better. Sawing of branches was a learning lesson. I have planted some hostas and ferns under the Laurel, which is probably a waste of time. As it seems not much grows under a Laurel. But the big issue I have is fallen leaves, every few days I have a carpet of leaves. The tree is very healthy but clearly too many leafy branches. So coming to a conclusion either a heavy trim or tree removal. Heavy trim is only a part solution, seems Laurel will need constant trimming. The tree is about 40/50 foot, not something I can tackle myself at my age. So gonna have to find a tree surgeon. A cost I did not anticipate. So have to say Laurel is a set back, feel a bit demotivated and overwhelmed. But I shall take small steps and deal with issues one at a time.