Forum home Fruit & veg

Spud problem?

HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Liverpool Posts: 237
Flowers have dropped or been munched off 2 of my spuds. Others in the same bed are fine and still others have no flowers at all. Perplexed!

It's knowing what to do with things that counts - Robert Frost

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153
    Are you watering well? The little sprinkling of rain we have had isn't even penetrating the canopy.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Liverpool Posts: 237
    Actually, now that you mention it I have been a bit slack... 😬
  • HeartinthedirtHeartinthedirt Liverpool Posts: 237
    @fidgetbones, thanks for that, pretty basic gardening really! 😂 Will the spuds still be viable if the plants don't flower? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,215
    Yes … some varieties hardly flower if at all. But they must have plenty of water for the spuds to form.  💦 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pinutpinut Posts: 74
    OP, the slugs/snails did you a favour in eating the flowers off if your intention was to grow fat tubers (aka the potato). Left to pollinate, small tomato-like, mildly toxic fruit would have formed as a result, and would have diverted energy away from tuber production.

I did once sow the seeds taken from the said fruit. I did get potato plants and a potato crop but, sadly, I never got a unique genetic variation...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,153
    Last year I didn't water, got a tiny crop.  I didn't dig them all up either. When I got round to weeding I found lots coming up on their own, so I fed them, mulched them and put a leaky hose round them.   Coming along nicely now, I have high hopes for later on in the year.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • war  garden 572war garden 572 Posts: 132
    flower and spud production are not related.