Forum home Fruit & veg

Courgettes in pots

Does anyone successfully grow courgettes in containers? I have a little veg patch but whilst netted seems to be a struggle to stop things being munched. 
If so,  what size container do you use?
Thanks. 

• I have grown them in pots before. I found they struggled a bit for food/water once they were fully grown so tried one that was more compact and for containers (forget the name) that did ok before the powdery mildew got it. I used a pot that was probably over 12” wide/deep. I grow mine in the ground now as I feel growing them in pots stresses them and makes them more susceptible to powdery mildew, but that said the ones in the ground often get mildew too so may be a coincidence. If the pots big enough they should crop but they can grow/trail a fair bit so need space.
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 513
    Thank you. Those tomatoes look lovely. 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    We have grown them successfully in pots, but much larger than the tomato ones shown above. I think they were 20 litre pots. They still need regular watering though.
    @KeenOnGreen - thanks,  I just get so disheartened having so many things eaten.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,836
    I find that not much eats the courgette plants at least … probably because of their bristly leaves. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 328
    use old car tires for my courgette plants and they have always done well I usually stack one tire on in  top of another gives them of depth of compost and soil to grow in, I also insert a plastic drinks bottle to water and feed them, also you can put some small mesh wire to stop the slugs and snails attacking them.
    @Plashing - crikey,  that sounds like one hell of a set up 👍
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,679
    Slugs and Snails will certainly graze both the leaf and flower stems of courgettes as well as young emerging leaves  - the plant will often recover and go on to produce fruit given a long enough season.  As mentioned above, they tend to leave the mature leaves alone. 
    I find that you can grow 2 plants in a container the size of a dustbin if you are short of open ground.  Preparing the bin over winter with plenty of raw kitchen waste. manure etc.usually provides a sufficient base for a good harvest the following summer.
  • pinutpinut Posts: 190
    I grow them outdoors in 14 litre builders buckets, All Green Bush variety.

The ideal pot would have no lip and a fine mesh covering the drainage holes - this will cut down the number of hiding places for slugs and snails.

• WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,415
    I use black bins, 1 plant per bin brimming with HMC. Last year was my 1st go and it worked well apart from too many drainage holes, have patched over some holes and find it's holding water much better. On a hot day in full sun they get very warm so I presume they'll be happy