Forum home Plants

help with hydrangea

murasakimurasaki Posts: 76
What might have caused the tips of my hydrangea paniculata to curl like this? only two branches were affected, i cut them off, hoping it won't spread. Thanks in advance! 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 4,329
    Has it had plenty of water it has been a dry winter and spring.
    RETIRED GARDENER, SOUTH NOTTS, SOIL.

BROWN IS A COLOUR   Piet Oudolf
  • murasakimurasaki Posts: 76
    yes, it's been very dry, you are right. i tried to water but maybe it was not enough? though all the other hydrangeas, even the mopheads, are ok... 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 4,329
    I don't grow them but it looks as if it is trying to grow out but something is stopping it.
    Not enough water would be my thought as it looks healthy.
    RETIRED GARDENER, SOUTH NOTTS, SOIL.

BROWN IS A COLOUR   Piet Oudolf
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 943
    edited June 2022
    It looks healthy enough..but, yes they need plenty of water & ideally a moist soil.
    thanks for the input. i will try to step up watering and see what happens... 
  • LynLyn Posts: 22,004
    Is that a pot it’s in,  It won’t do very well in a pot, they are much better in the ground.  Watering a pot can be a very hit and miss thing, 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,068
    I kept mine in a large pot for years till it got too big ,transferred it to the garden and it died .Soil was perfect and well watered .Don’t know why .I just think gardening is three quarters luck and a quarter knowledge.
  • LynLyn Posts: 22,004
    edited June 2022
    More difficult to transfer an older plant. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

no, mine is not in a pot, it's the third or fourth year in the garden. the rest of the plant looks healthy:

i painted some herbicide on some lily of the valley leaves in its vicinity, could this have been the cause? i took great pains to just apply it with a brush, in order to not contaminate other plants... they are popping everywhere and i just don't know what to do to get rid of them anymore😢
  • spiros206spiros206 Posts: 13
    Perhaps someone could help my with my hydrangea if possible. I have had it in a large pot for several years, give it plenty of water it has lots of leaves on it but has not bloomed since I purchased it years ago. I have given it some bone meal but so far no signs of flowers. How often should it get the bone meal btw. Thanks