Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sowing seeds for wild flower patch

I have a grassed area on my allotment where I grow fruit trees. I want to sow flower seeds so that they grow amongst the flowers and grass. Do I need to remove the grass and sow in bare soil or can I just cut the grass really short and sprinkle the seeds mixed in compost over the surface?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559
    It depends on what you want to create. For many people wild flowers means bright coloured annuals, you'd have to clear the grass for those, they don't grow in grass. Many perennials will grow in grass but few, (apart from the annual Yellow Rattle), can be successfully sown into grass, you'd need at least plug plants. I grow from seed and grow on til they fill a litre size pot
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 553
    Just out of interest, has anyone been successful with bee bombs/generic ones? 
    I put about 30 in various beds and got absolutely bugger all. 😒
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559
    Slow-worm said:
    Over-rated and over priced. They're the sort of thing you might give as a present. 
  • Slow-wormSlow-worm Posts: 553
    nutcutlet said:
    Slow-worm said:
    Over-rated and over priced. They're the sort of thing you might give as a present. 
    I couldn't be that cruel.. 😄

Apparently they've worked for some people, but I wouldn't bother again.