Forum home Fruit & veg

Bolted parsnips ....what can I do ?

muckyhandsmikemuckyhandsmike GlosPosts: 125
Grown parsnips this year for the first time - I’ve been away and upon my return the first row has bolted. Presumably not enough watering in my absence.
Is there anything I can to do rescue these  ? I have lopped off the flowering heads fwiw.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,170
    Leave the flowering heads for the insects, but the roots will have gone hard and woody.  Umbellifers attract some really interesting insects.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 538
    There is nothing to be done. What a shame .
  • muckyhandsmikemuckyhandsmike GlosPosts: 125
    Darn it ! 
    I suppose I could pull them up and reseed ....

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,713
    edited 2 June
    Sorry as well but we haven't been able to grow parsnips for many years now and to see that you had some that could have been harvested a little time ago ...well you did better than us even though they have have bolted.
    Oh these were only sown in feb/mar so I hadn’t planned on harvesting until next winter !
    i have another row which are going ok atm so I’ll keep a close eye on them.

• bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 538
    That’s all you can do ……good luck .
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,607
    I can’t imagine how they’ve grown in three months from seed to bolt. 
    Mine are about 3” tall. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Well well they were about 2 feet tall when I came back home from being away !
    As I said I’ve never grown them before but didn’t expect that really !
    perhaps I’ll add a photo next time ...
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,910
    You could sow some more. Depends on the weather and they may be quite small, but it's actually not too late to get a crop for Jan / Feb
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”