Forum home The potting shed

Abandoning your garden to go on holiday

B3B3 Posts: 25,206
Who'd want to do that?
I'd rather stay at home and nurture my garden but ...
Anyway, in a couple of weeks I'm going to move all my soaked containers into the shade and hope it pssss down for a week.
It's about the time when a feed might be beneficial. Should I do it before I go or when I return?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,051
    Do what I ( used to  ) do : go in winter.
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 25,206
    I really don't get holidays😐
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    I really don't get holidays😐
    I don't get "summer" holidays when the weather is fine here. 
    Devon.
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    Put your containers in the shade and just go B3, life is too short and precious to miss hols. Don't even think about your garden. Memories are more important. 
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,129
    I have friends who are keen gardeners and who always take their big holiday of the year in February on the grounds that nothing then needs watering, feeding or pruning.

We were always constrained by school hols so did a week's skiing at Carnaval/Shrove Tuesday week and the big hols in late June/early July before Italy got too flaming hot.   I learned to move all my treasures in pots, troughs and hanging baskets to one grouped set behind the house and watered them with a sprinkler on an automatic timer.  

These days - busy being retired then Covid restrictions - we don't go on hols but we are taking 4 days off next week to go to the garden show at Chaumont.   All my pots will be gathered under shade and Possum will do dogs, cats and chooks. 
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Get housesitters.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,172
    I'm the same as @Hostafan1 .... I only go away in the winter.
    It suits us as there's nothing we need to do with our bees, or in the garden.

I love Scotland in the summer, and would hate to miss it.
    I also think it does us both good to get a dose of sunshine in the winter ... have missed doing that this past 2 years.

Bee x
    Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
    WE will never have another holiday. 
    I'm not sure about going alone.
    Devon.
  • UffUff Posts: 3,199
    edited June 2022
    Quite so Hostafan and as I said, memories are more important than a garden. Plenty of time for gardening if we are left on our own.
    SW SCOTLAND but born in Derbyshire
    Uff said:
    Quite so Hostafan and as I said, memories are more important than a garden. Plenty of time for gardening if we are left on our own.
    When, not if. 
    On the 15th of July last year they gave him "2 month" to live.
    Devon.