Forum home Fruit & veg

rhubarb-from-seed-what-do-i-do-with-it-now-its-grown

Hi,

I have 15 Rhubarb plants in my Greenhouse (unheated, i just use it to start all my veg off in) that i have grown from seed, they are about a hand high stems with hand size leaves now, but what di i do with them now? i dont want them to die over winter, should i just pot into huge pots and leave in green house or should i plant them out and put chimmleys over them? help please xx

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,167

plant them out, at least 3 ft apart . They will die down for winter. Give them a thick mulch of rotted farm yard manure or compost. Do not cover with chimneys. They cannot be forced until they have grown bigger, usually by third year.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

Well, congratulations on having grown rhubarb from seed. I have never heard of anyone doing that before.  Did you get the seed from a packet or from a plant? F from a plant, you will probably find that they are all different in some way. Some may be red, or green, thick or thin stemmed.

If they are from a plant I would continue to grow them in pots until you can see their true character. Then select the best one or two and give the rest away. You won't need 15 of them.image

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572
    Rhubarb, a native of Siberia was originally found growing on the banks of the river Volga.

This tells us two important things about the plant???s requirements.

1. Cold

2. Water

The third import requirement is Nitrogen. It seems Sam they very much need lots of manure and cold weather, also first year no cropping, And you Do need 15 plants if you eat as much as me ,and it makes wonderful jam Rhubarb and ginger is to die for honest,
  • Thank you fidgetbones, i guess my lawn is going to be getting a bit smaller again, and dug over to plant them, i have more veggie patch than grass now as it is lol 

Thank you waterbutts  i bought packet of seeds, ive tried few times before but this is first year they have grown, they are now quite big and some have stalks long enough to eat and red,  oh i will need 15 of them, im a veggie/fruit plant OTT planter lol so i will fit as many as i can in image

Thank you Alan4711  i had no idea they were from a cold place, i wont worry about them outside over winter then, i keep chickens so poo is not a problem image  oh yes i def need 15, as you say jam is yummy, i will get my lawn dug up over this week then manured so i can plant them in couple of weeks.

Thank you so much for everyones help xx

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,348

Hope you've got plenty of room - this rhubarb plant has only been planted out 18 months. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh