Forum home Plants

Clematis issue?

yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
Noticed these spots on this clematis. The plant is in a large pot with a small number of bulbs (gone over). The plant is a group 1 (I think). Is the plant diseased, lacking something? TIA.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Can you give us a better photo? A view of the whole plant and the container.  :)
    Clems often get some spotting on foliage, and it doesn't necessarily mean they'll fail. It's often down to poor airflow.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    Yes it looks like maybe the leaves aren't drying quickly enough when it's watered? 
    I'm trying to make sense of your photos' aspects - am I right in thinking the 2nd one is looking down from above? Although it would be very hard to overwater a potted clem at this time of year (particularly with the lack of rain), it's best to avoid wetting the leaves
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Some early Group 1s need much drier soil conditions. They're totally different from the large flowered later ones. 
    I think that's a montana, but the photos aren't good enough to determine. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
    Fairygirl said:
    Can you give us a better photo? A view of the whole plant and the container.  :)
    Clems often get some spotting on foliage, and it doesn't necessarily mean they'll fail. It's often down to poor airflow.
    Thanks. Does this help? I’ve another plant in a different location and showing similar traits.