Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweetcorn soil prep questions

janntimsonjanntimson Posts: 54
edited 14 May in Fruit & veg
I had a raised bed made up of lots of rotted manure and compost and grew sweetcorn in it last year. I am doing corn again this year in the same bed and some dwarf french beans too. I have chicken manure pellets, fish blood and bone and compost but I'm really confused about how to enrich the soil this year. I'm thinking mix in a good amount of the chicken manure and fish blood and bone (or is both too much) then possibly add in some more chicken manure after they've got nice and big and maybe some tomato fertiliser once a week after the cobs have formed. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? What do others do with sweetcorn? Thanks 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    I just do fish, blood, and bone meal at planting and then usually a side dressing later in the summer.  Never used chicken manure pellets, so others could advise about that.  
    Utah, USA.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,696
    Well...this year we decided to do sweet corn after many years (badger issues). We have made an area in between fruit trees in our small orchard. We dug out the grass and made an area that had home based compost added. The plants (sown indoors and then planted out) are doing really well. We have had to protect from the birds. We have added nothing else. And we wont. Time will tell.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,879
    We Manure, the previous autumn,do the 3year rotation. We use any of the products you mention, whatever we have. I find the deciding factor is the weather. Last year, not one seed Germinated,(kings, not cheap.....they sent me 2 different packets as replacement) I've often bought seeds from Lidl, which have been fine. 2020,I did the Three Sisters method,with the beans, (they took a long time to germinate this year inspite if how warm) and squash,to save room
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,154
    Mine get compost if any is left after the beans and swwet peas had their share. They always get a dressing of blood fish and bone  tickled in to the soil before planting out.  The main thing seems to be remembering to give them enough water.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • war  garden 572war garden 572 Posts: 132
    try using this method of sweet corn soil
    prep it saves on space soil/compost and
    fertilizer.