Forum home Garden design

Planting ideas for very narrow raised patio planter

Hi All,
Looking for some planting ideas please for the raised planter shown in the photos. It's about 5 ft long by 1ft wide. As the photos show its next to a mature Choisya, overlooks a cottage garden border, and the other patio beds feature formal box topiary. 
I'd like something that will establish quickly, annuals even without spending too much on it as we are likely to be selling soon.

Thanks very much.
D

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    If it's sunny for at least half the day, most of the annuals that are sold as hanging basket plants will be fine there - petunias, trailing pelargoniums and so on. Don't forget to water though, probably every day in warm dry weather. It will dry out quite quickly just like baskets.
  • PrologicaPrologica Posts: 10
    Thanks Jenny but I wanted something less garden basket like ideally. And there will be times we are away for a week or so.
    More ideas appreciated! Thanks
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Bushy salvia would be fine in there - a Royal Bumble type plant, Lemon Pie, Blue Note etc. I presume the base is open to the earth. Highly coloured, long flowering, good for pollinators. 

Trailing diascia might look nice. Long flowering too. 
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221
    I would be tempted to go for marigolds as a contrast, but if you want to blend into the style perhaps a couple of types of thyme. Should be able to handle dry conditions once they settle in.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    If you aren't going to be around for a week at a time, on several occasions, you'll either need to get someone to water the plants, or have succulents or similar.
    The exception to that would be if you live in a wetter part of the country and get regular rainfall every few days. 
    It doesn't matter what you plant, and what conditions they like, they need regular watering until established, and in a narrow raised, they'll need more attention than in a bed or border at ground level ,especially from now and on through summer.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I would fill it with Nepeta ‘Six Hills Giant’ … it’ll filter and add distance to the view without hiding it. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    If you're going to be away for a week at a time, Mediterranean plants which are happy in hot, dry conditions would suit, but you'd need to keep them well watered while they're getting established.  Eryngium, thyme, rosemary, lavender and purple sage, either in combination or as a single species block planting could work.  You'd need to add grit to your soil to make sure it is free draining.  Cottage garden type plants and annuals would need more attention, particularly over summer.
  • PrologicaPrologica Posts: 10
    Thank you all,

The idea of lavender or Nepeta strike a chord - in fact I was talking to my wife about lavender after I posted. Nepeta I love but it would have the disadvantage of being deciduous compared to lavender.

P.

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    If you decide on lavender, choose an English lavender like Hidcote or Munstead - they suit our UK winters better!
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Erigeron karvinskianus should be fine with some neglect, would look lovely growing over the edges, and will be flowering for ages.