Forum home Problem solving

Evergreen plant to hide a door

We are buying a house where the study window looks directly onto our neighbour's front door. 

To give them a little more privacy we'd like to plant an evergreen of some variety in our front garden.

Ideally it would be something which flowers and is scented.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    How big does it need to be? How far away is the door? What aspect is it - ie North facing, south facing etc? Where are you - roughly - in the UK, if you're in the UK?

Shrubs that are fine in  London aren't necessarily fine further north   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Good points!

We'd like it yo grow no bigger than around 9ft but we're happy to prune. Circumference does matter too much as the space is pretty good at the front. 

The door is probably about 15ft-20ft away.

It's an East facing garden in the south west of England.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    I presume you meant circumference 'doesn't' matter  ;)
    A magnolia might suit - stellata is neater, or one of the smaller Prunus [cherry] but they aren't evergreen.
    An evergreen at that height and distance [obviously it would be quite near your window] could cause quite a lot of shade. You could have something like a Pieris [many get to a decent size] but the soil needs to be neutral to acidic. Same with Rhodos or Camellias, and there's a chance the latter two would struggle if buds got frosted - that aspect is the worst one for them. 
    Some Berberis are evergreen as are all Pyracanthas, but they have thorns, so that may not suit you. A specimen Ilex [holly] would be nice though. 

Have you got a photo of the site? It would make it easier for suggestions. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,878
    A Griselinia would grow in your area unless your house is situated in a wild windy area of the West Country, like mine.
    It will grow tall but you can keep it trimmed and will grow in any type of soil.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    Viburnum tinus "Eve Price".  Evergreen, flowers in late winter/early spring.

Choisya - various forms available with green or golden foliage, some finer than others,  and white flowers - when mature enough - that smell of orange blossom.

Don't be tempted by a camellia as the flower buds won't like the easterly aspect - early sun doing a fast thaw on frozen flower buds kills them tho they manage fine if they thaw slowly in a different aspect.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,486
    Clematis armandii. Just look it up. It is a fabulous plant and so ignored.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,008
    Arbutus unedo, the Strawberry tree, is worth considering.  It's evergreen, has attractive bark and produces white flowers on sprays, plus strawberry-like fruit, enjoyed by blackbirds!  It prefers sun but will happily grow in light shade.  I have one which I have pruned into a multi-stemmed tree to hide a gap in my neighbour's hedge!

Arbutus unedo | Evergreen Strawberry Trees (ornamental-trees.co.uk)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,426
    I'd recommend Osmanthus x burkwoodii.  Neat small dark green leaves, clusters of beautifully scented small white flowers in April-May.  Can grow to 4m but you can prune it.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore