Forum home Problem solving

New to this - help identifying and next steps

Hi all,

I'm new to gardening and we have a patch in the bank garden which I'm hoping to clear and use to play some beautiful coloured plants, flowers etc. However, I don't really know what I have here so I thought I'd upload some images to see what are weeds, what needs moving and what I can keep. After that, I think I'll put together a plan for how to begin clearing it all and creating something beautiful (hopefully). Thanks for reading and any advice I receive.

Lee.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,555
    edited 14 May
    Welcome to the forum Lee :)

Photo number 2 (with the strappy leaves), l think is a carex. Personally l would dig it out ASAP, it can be a bit of a thug.
    Photos 3 and 6 (spiky leaves) is Mahonia.
    Photo 4 looks like an oak sapling, l would get that out ASAP as well.
    Just to say, it helps if you number the photos, but l think l have them right
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,416
    Lee, could you number your photos. It will make identification much easier.
    Click on the icon on the right that looks like a flower  and you can edit your post
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    There's Astrantia an da load of oak saplings - probably other tree saplings too.
    Very awkward to ID for the reasons given - single photos of one plant is easier, or a close up of flowers/foliage, and one from a distance, and not too many in one thread  :)

Mahonia  - yes, and a load of cow parsley in the last photo. Crocosmia and nettles in various pix.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,495
    edited 14 May
    1st pic is either a Japanese Anemone or a hardy Geranium
    If it's a Japanese anemone it'll flower around June/July
    If it's a geranium it'll flower in the next few weeks. It'll probably be a pink variety.

Pic 5 is an oak sapling and just next to it could be a peony

The tall plants with frothy white flowers are probably cow parsley (usually considered a weed)

I agree re. the Mahonias

The rest is basically weedy stuff to get rid of

Welcome to the forum from me too :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,049
    I thought the spiky one in the first picture might be Kniphofia. I'd still get rid if was though.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    The 1st one looks like a Rozanne geranium.  @Fairygirl thinks it’s an Astrantia, she could be right,  I’ve got a garden full of both and can never tell the difference unless I’m out there,  whichever, it’s not a weed, wait until it flowers and we’ll know  for sure. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    Yes - I thought geranium too @Lyn, but my astrantias are looking like that so it could easily be either! A keeper anyway. Once there's flower stems/buds, it'll be easy  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

It looks like that pink hardy geranium thug to me. Wargrave Pink?
    There might be a peony next to the oak seedling
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,863
    Just compared, definitely not Astantia,  and not the Rozanne as their leaves are dull,  so as others said, the pink thug geranium. 
    Geranium on left,  Astrantia on right. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.