Forum home Problem solving

What is digging my raised flower bed?

BirdHerdLissBirdHerdLiss North East EnglandPosts: 7
Hi everyone,

Today we’ve noticed something has been digging in our raised flower bed, this has happened twice during the day.

Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be and how I can prevent it?

Thanks! 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    Rats, rabbits, squirrels, birds. Any or all of those can make holes. Usually looking for food  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 448
    And cats, dogs, badgers, pigs, children 🙂
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 609
    Blackbirds when feeding their young can make a heck of a mess sometimes searching for grubs, worms etc. so it could be that? In which case just try putting twiggy bits around vulnerable plants to discourage them.
    I think they tend to go for the base of plants as it's often damper there, so more chance of finding insects. 
    I would try to keep an eye on it in the hope you might spot the culprit. The hole does look rather more 'dug' than 'pecked' but it's difficult to know for sure.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    children 🙂
    aye - and they eat more worms than anything else  :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BirdHerdLissBirdHerdLiss North East EnglandPosts: 7
    Thanks everyone, I know there’s blackbirds around as they’re in my garden everyday getting worms from the lawn. There’s a few cats about aswell. There’s been a squirrel but not seen it for a while.
    And really hope it’s not children as we’ve only got a newborn so I’d be scared if she’s been going in the garden and digging haha 😆

I’ll keep my eye on it to see if I see anything.
  • februarysgirlfebruarysgirl Posts: 523
    I had blackbirds digging enormous holes in my raised beds. Wouldn't have believed it had I not seen them doing it!
  • Blackbirds have been digging up anything that looks as though it might be food.  But also squirrels can do the same. 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 991
    Topping your raised bed with a mulch of grit, gravel or decorative stones or pebbles could help to protect your plants' roots - but don't use bark, the blackbirds will have even more fun!
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 286
    I saw blackbirds in my raised bed today ,not only raking through the earth but pulling out my plants. Ain’t wildlife wonderful?!?
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 469
    edited 14 May
    I have holes like this and it’s from the blackbirds