Forum home Plants

Iris ID

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
I hope there are some iris officionado out there that might be able to name these two that were bought at a church stall in the village. 
The stall holder, an old gentleman,  said he had dug them out of his garden and had had them for years, no idea of a type or name. He said " just put um in a sunny spot so the corms can bake, and they will do the rest"
So they have been sitting in my "woodland" bit of garden doing their own thing and this year both have a lovely set of flowers, so just wondered if I wanted more what would I look for?

I must admit this one is my favourite 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,145
    ..as they are old Irises, they look like some bred by the late Sir Cedric Morris, of Benton End, Suffolk, who was a friend of Beth Chatto... Mr Morris was an artist..  

..I don't know the top one but it has a 'Benton' look about it.. he called all his Irises Benton something or other.. many are now lost to commerce..

..the bottom one I am almost certain is Iris germanica 'Benton Storrington' which is still readily available..
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    Thanks @Marlorena that's really helpful,  and I will look and see if I can find it.