Forum home Problem solving

Bamboo! help!

lottiecoker_86lottiecoker_86 Posts: 6
edited 13 May in Problem solving
Hello everyone, 
I’ve bought some bamboo to go in a raised bed made from wooden sleepers it’s a Phyllostachys Aurea and I’m worried I need to dig it up as it’s invasive! Please can I have some advice on what to do! 

• RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 341
    It's in a container, why are you worried?
  • Is that container good enough?? I e herd awful stories of them coming through the house floor!!
  • Ps- thank you so much for replying!!
  • RoddersUKRoddersUK Swanwick - SouthamptonPosts: 341
    Surely they'd only come through the house floornif planted in soil next to the house.
    Yours would have to go through the patio as well.
    I doubt that would happen, unless others on here know better.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,528
    edited 13 May
    It was some while ago I watched a documentary on TV about invasive plants.
    It was a UK city location and I recall a clump of bamboo in a pot at the top of some steps leading to the front door of a terraced house. The bamboo had been there a long time.
    A shoot had travelled out of the drainage hole into the ground - along the garden path to the house, across the public footpath and about 4ft into the road was a bamboo shoot coming out of the tarmac.
    I've no idea what type of bamboo it was
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • lottiecoker_86lottiecoker_86 Posts: 6
    edited 13 May
    There is some soil at the bottom, it’s not completely patio on the bottom. I’m hoping it’s very unlikely. I’ve seen horror stories online, and it’s made me fret 😂😭 thank you for your reply lovely! 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,018
    It will be fine in that sturdy raised bed, don't worry - it's not like Japanese Knotweed!  I have several non clumping bamboos in my garden but they are on shallow soil and in quite contained spaces - perfectly well behaved!  I just keep an eye on the new canes which are produced between now and June and remove any at ground level that are either too spindly or not in the right place.  Just make sure you keep the soil moist but not waterlogged, remembering to water even if it rains!
  • Thank you so much for your reply, it’s really appreciated. So do I not need to worry that it will grow underground into my house? 🤣 xx
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,018
    Bamboos are shallow rooted, like grasses, they don't normally burrow deep down, they expand outwards.  There's no guarantee that you don't have a troublemaker, but I doubt it in that planter surrounded by paving, even if it's open to the ground at the bottom.  I grow the same variety in the ground and it is fine..........so far! 😊
  • Thank you so much for your reply really helpful advice 👍 xxx