Forum home Plants

Could anyone please id this self set plant?

FiddlingOnFiddlingOn HertfordshirePosts: 76
This set itself in a planter of tete-a-tete a year or more ago and has just recently sent up vigorous shoots. Initially I thought it might be a fuschia as there's a hardy one growing nearby but not so sure now. I'd be grateful for any ideas. Thanks for looking.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FiddlingOnFiddlingOn HertfordshirePosts: 76
    Oh, thank you so much Pete! Most interesting. Will leave it to get on with its thang and see what happens...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    They pop up in my garden here and there - probably thanks to the birds.
    The berries are not toxic, so I tried one - it tasted like bitter nutmeg - not something you'd want a lot of.
    In spring I cut all the old bits down to the ground and fresh new shoots (like yours has) appear in no time.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Actually, thinking about it I'll probably pull it out after it flowers, if it does, as it's not really in the right spot being in a planter less than 2' diameter. A pretty flowering shrub though looking at the photographs.
  • Blackbirds in particular love harvesting the berries.  It’s good fun watching them balance on the branches and pull the berries off 🙂 .  HH seeds everywhere it can! 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,106
    It has another name pheasent berry guess they like the fruits too.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
    Sounds like a plant with a lot going for it. Pity I don't have a spot for it really.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    Try and find a space😊. They're one of my favourites.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,106
     Had some problems with pruning it in the past . Large stems can die back over winter thenyou can be left with an unbalanced plant.  I would say they as short lived so a good idea to grow on some seedlings.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    I don't really expect much more than three years out of a plant. I look for seedlings and pot them up.
    In London. Keen but lazy.