Forum home Problem solving

Pyracantha with yellow brown leaves

What is this whereas the leave are yellow with a brown rust in the middle of the leaf.  I thought it might be over watering but I just planted this a week or two ago.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,561
    How close is it to that wall?  It may be too dry.  Did you soak the plat pot before removing the pyracantha and planting it?  Did you gie it a good long drink afetr planting?  Has it ben hot and dry since?

Being evergreen, there will always be some leaves going over and being replaced but if you get a lot doing it at once it's usually a sign of shock from planting in poorly prepared soil or inadequate watering.   Having been planted so late in spring it will need watering all thru its first summer and into autumn while it gets its roots down into its new home.

On the other hand, over watering can also turn leaves brown or it may have been accidentally sprayed with weed killer which can also cause spotting and yellowing of affected leaves.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    They shed leaves quite regularly. Not usually anything to worry about. All evergreens do it  :)
    It looks like quite a big specimen, so it will need plenty of water until established, especially if the sit's on the dry side. Once established, they cope with most sites and situations.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,571
    They are pretty tough and cope well with drought once the roots are down and the shrub established, often grown against walls so it probably is just ‘settling in’ issues. It’s  always a bit of a shock to plants being transplanted from sheltered, cosseted nursery conditions into the real conditions of a garden and it is very easy to underestimate how much water they need in their first year.

In saying all that, I took a screen grab to look at more closely and it does look a somewhat unusual pattern of discolouration, did you fertilise it or spray it with anything? 

• no haven't done anything except water when planted.  I did add 121212 fertilizer.  I had another plant that lost all of its leaves in a similar starting way.  I removed it because I didn't know if it was diseased.  but to loose all leaves seem a bit extreme for 'shock'.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,561
    Not at all.  Leaves transpire enormous amounts of water so if the roots are short of water the plant's defence mechanisms reduce the leaf cover to help it recover.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,571
    Agree, plus it probably didn’t need the 12-12-12 fertiliser at such an early stage, improving the soil with some compost or well-rotted manure which feeds the soil, which then feeds the plant would have been better. Fertiliser of that strength (probably inorganic and fast-acting) might have pushed it too soon before the roots had settled and found their feet. If you want to add fertiliser to plants when you plant out into the ground, an organic, slow-release fert such as blood, fish and bone or chicken manure pellets would be more appropriate. Just give it time, water regularly and well and it will recover.