Forum home Plants

Green tower dying

Hey there 

A few of my lovely potted garden plants have starting dying and I don't know why. 

Moved to a new house and the pots were under a a huge bush (growing in from neighbours garden) which had vivid orange flowers. 

Pictures of the green towers attached, one has desicated leaves the other the leaves are still green but falling off. 

Picture of the large overhead bush also attached. 

Are the flowers poisonous to other plants perhaps?

Thanks in advance!

Siobhan 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    No poison issue.

Are you watering them enough, are they in good quality compost, do they have adequate drainage?
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Thanks for the reply Punkdoc

Perhaps not watering them enough as the weather does some of that work for me. Drainage is good, I had done a compost top but maybe can repot completely 
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 495
    It looks like your in a rain shadow there. I'm assuming your in UK, even the normally wet areas haven't had enough rain this spring!
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,067
    If you grow plants in pots you can never depend on rain alone. Your two pots need to be watered at least once a week and when the water comes through the bottom of the pot you know they has had a soak. If they have been in the pots for sometime they could need tipping out and repotting with fresh compost.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    Thanks for the reply Punkdoc

Perhaps not watering them enough as the weather does some of that work for me. Drainage is good, I had done a compost top but maybe can repot completely 
    Rain very rarely gives a pot enough moisture, even in miserable weather during the growing season you should carry on watering them. They will not dry out as much as in hot weather, but the rain itself will rarely find its way enough into the soil in a pot. (In the ground the the rain will fall all around a plant and will soak right down and through the soil and reach the roots, in a pot the plant itself will shelter most of the soil from receiving very much rain)
  • Thanks everybody for your help, it's much appreciated