Forum home Plants

Agapanthus - in pots or the ground..?

Hi all,

I read a lot that agapanthus like to have their roots constricted and not to over-pot them.

How can this be achieved if they are planted in the ground? I would prefer not to have them in containers as they require so much extra care.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze Posts: 5,637
    @learnhow2salsa For many years I grew a deciduous one close to a path. Then I split it into five. Two were further back in the border but flowered just as well. I water and feed them once a week from mid April until a few weeks after flowering. Some  flower better than others. The evergreen ones are not hardy here.
     Retired Gardener, new build garden, clay soil, South Notts.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,460
    I think it's at least partly a myth. I have some in the ground and they flower fine (better than the ones in pots, but that might be down to variety - they are different ones).
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • Thank for your responses. That is helpful. It seemed to me that if a plant cannot thrive in the ground, then it's not a 'plant' (!) if you know what I mean.
  • GHardenerSuze - I take your point about hardiness though. : )
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,875
    I used to chat with the National Collection Holder of agapanthus and a breeder of over 250 varieties. In his words " Agapanthus are best in the ground " 
    Devon.
  • Thank you Hostafan1 - that's really good to know : )
    @learnhow2salsa I grow A. Navy Blue and it had about 30 flowers on the five plants. The best for flowers in my opinion.

The more I garden the less I know but the more pleasure I get from it. Monty Don 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,875
    I've about 30 deciduous varieties in the ground and about 20 evergreen varieties ( they are in pots and go into a polytunnel in winter )
    Devon.
  • I'm fairly new to growing agapanthus, but I love them. Good to know that the evergreen ones are less hardy - thank you.
    @learnhow2salsa I guess it may depend on where you are in the country. The evergreen ones are often grown in pots so that they can go in a greenhouse over winter. All of the tall ones in pots will lean away from the wall to the sun.