Forum home Plants

What personal experience have you had in replacements for box?

elderberryelderberry Posts: 114
There's plenty written about it, but I'm interested in anecdotes. We've got box hedging which has been attacked by box tree moth, and while we've dealt with it, long-term a replacement seems like the way to go.

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,446
    Lonicera nitida is a useful alternative.  Quite fast growing and if regularly trimmed and shaped it soon forms a decent hedge :)
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    @elderberry Euonymous Green Pillar is a good idea. As it's name suggests no good for a ball shape. Also you cannot clip it so close.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,145
    Rhododendron 'Bloombux' if you're prepared to try something different.. it's lime tolerant.
    https://www.rhododendrons.co.uk/dwarf-rhododendron-bloombux-inkarho/p874
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 940
    Euonymous 'Jean Hugues' is my first choice for Box replacement. You could try Ilex Crenata but it tends to be expensive. 
    Lonicera nitida, as suggested, may be a good choice. In can get a bit rampant tho..you'll need to clip it..often. 
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    Yew is a good alternative

I haven’t used any as a low hedge but have quite a few yew balls. A couple are only 30-40cm diameter so no reason why a simple hedge couldn’t be kept at that height. Only needs a trim once a year, maybe once more if you want that neat look all the time - same as for box really.

If we were to loose our box knot garden, I would replace it with yew. 

I have seen the Euonymus, suggested above, and they are attractive but as said they don’t give that tight, clipped look. I would happily use them as a low hedge

I haven’t any in my garden but I have seen rosemary used as a low clipped hedge, it was very attractive
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    I have a very dwarf hedge of Lonicera nitida "Baggesen;s Gold" edging a bed - about 8" tall. It needs clipping several times a year to keep it looking nice but if it gets away and then I cut back hard (one side at a time) it regrows. My dad has one from the same batch of cuttings that is a lot larger, maybe 3 feet high, and clipped into a blob, so it works at a variety of heights.