Forum home Plants

Blue died orchid

Molly69Molly69 Posts: 28
Hello, I have been gifted a rather fake looking bright blue/pink orchid - it’s huge & very healthy looking - does anyone know if the blue/pink die will grow out eventually? 🤞

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    I've never had one but I expect when it produces new flowers they'll be white.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
    It will revert. Why on earth do they do that? 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Molly69Molly69 Posts: 28
    Thank you - I’m glad to hear that. I’ve no idea - it’s so ugly!!! What’s wrong with a beautiful white orchid? I shall wait patiently 😍
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,709
    B3 said:
    Why on earth do they do that? 
    To cater for customers endowed with a perverted sense of aesthetics.  :p
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 752
    I don’t like any dyed flowers. They do it in bouquets with chrysanthemums and they look so false. I’m sure your orchid will come through white when the new blooms grow. 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,907
    We grow orchids and many years ago we had a discussion about this and when we told the person that it had been "artifically coloured" they were very upset as it had been bought for them as a present.
    Blue is a great colour and many people love flowers of this colour. But orchids.....very few and not what you buy in local supermarkets.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,723
    There's obviously a demand for dyed orchids, and as long as people buy them the growers will keep producing them. A bit like the dyed heather plants that turn up in the shops every autumn. Ugly to my eye, but someone must like them. I love naturally blue flowers like forget-me-nots and Salvia patens, but dyed ones, yuk!.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,099
    The pointless search for blue roses or blue daffodils is a mystery to me. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,598
    A few Christmas's ago our Granddaughter who worked part time in a garden centre bought us a blue Orchid I doubt that she even knew that it had been dyed even so we still have it and it is quite healthy and now white.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,563
    It's not just orchids they do it do.  I've seen cactus flowers dyed the most garish of colour and also heathers.  Why?  Absolutely no idea, but somebody presumably likes them.