Forum home Plants

Too late to split Hemerocallis?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
My 3yr old group of Stella de Oro has suddenly exploded in growth and is now crowding out other stuff.  It’s begun to grow scapes. I think it may be too late to dig it up and split but if I chopped chunks off it would it harm the remainder? I can pot up the chopped chunks and they will either make it or not, but don’t want to kill the mother!

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    I split a big clump into 3 a week or so ago, I thought I’d probably left it too late, but apart from looking a bit sprawly as the foliage was so big they all seem to be doing ok, none of the foliage died and I noticed a flower stalk appearing on one this morning so I guess they might even all flower 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I'd go for it @Nollie.   Give it a good soaking first as it has fleshy roots that will recover better if well hydrated.  Then either dig up and split or just cut off chunks as needed and re-pot or plant and keep moist till they recover.   

We moved here with several pots of them for the new garden and I always put pots of split hemerocallis in a shady spot now and they recover well.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    That sounds veey encouraging many thanks @Jellyfire and @Obelixx. I might try some exploratory chunk chopping then, will give it a really good water first and keep the potted chunks in shade as you suggest Obs.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,171
    Agree with above @Nollie, They don't seem to mind being split even with a lot of greenery. They do tend to sulk if you do it in autumn here though with our clay soil, so I do mine in spring.
  • Daylily growers post bare-rooted plants in summer, and they cope perfectly well, so they are very tolerant.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    Sounds as if it’s better to do when in growth then @floralies, thanks, clay soil here too. After weeks of cool weather, thunderstorms, rain and even hail, it certainly feels like summer now @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool, 27c and rising 🥵 
  • Don't worry.  They are extremely difficult to kill!  They will take a while to flower again if you make the clumps too small, though, so go for sizeable chunks and water them in well.