Forum home Garden design

Need an idea to add privacy to the garden

Hi all!

Our garden has pretty good privacy and can’t really be seen into by any houses around us. However at the corner of the garden where the wall dips slightly it’s quite easy to see in from the road.

I think one of the options is adding some privacy trellis to the wall but I’m not sure how that would look considering the wall isn’t one straight level? I also thought about some tall plants in sleepers but not sure how realistic this is? 

Any thoughts as to add some privacy?

thanks! 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,524
    Could you please post a photo - it makes it much easier for us to advise.
  • harry.huntharry.hunt Posts: 19
    Sorry forgot to attach!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,435
    I would plant a short tree or 3 there, crab apple, rowan, amelanchier, for example. It would also hide you more from the upstairs windows of the other houses.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,107
    You could have a raised bed [using the same materials as the wall] and use shrubs or the smaller trees mentioned.
    It won't be instant though - any shrub or tree will take several years to be of any height and depth. If you buy mature specimens, they need a lot of care to establish and keep them happy.
    Those  shrubs/trees suitable as hedging would work, and you could have it as a small hedge, leaving room to get round the back for maintenance.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,548
    I presume the corner section is where you have main problem.  Is it actually curved or is it a made up of straight sections?  Trellis on straight sections would seem to be the simplest solution.  If you want it on the two lower sections just use 2 ft high on the lower section and 1 ft high on the upper one.  That would give a level top line.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,747
    edited May 2022
    I'd go with @Busy-Lizzie's suggestion.  Small trees will add interest and structure to your garden, as well as providing privacy during summer months.  That's an attractive wall, it would be a shame to spoil it with standard trellis!

Ornamental trees can be bought in various sizes according to budget.  You could get good cover within 2-3 years with a couple of trees sized between 2-3 meters now.  There's plenty of protection there, as long as your soil is right for the trees or can be improved, you'll just need to keep them well watered while they get established. 

You wouldn't need to go to the expense of creating a raised bed if your soil is in good condition but you'll need to take an area of the grass away so that the grass is not competing with the trees' young roots and top the soil with an organic mulch.  Trees also attract birds and wildlife so there's lots of benefits!
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,273
    Agree with all that Liriodendron says.

Three small trees, set far enough away from the wall so that their shapes are not compromised would look really nice. I don't see the need for a raised bed. And the brick wall is a good feature, better seen through plantings rather than muddled with trellis.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    I agree some small trees or tall shrubs would be your best bet. Straight trellis on a curved wall might look a bit odd. You could use some metal tree rings to keep it neat and stop the grass creeping back:

https://www.corelp.co.uk/core-edge/
    Thank you for all the ideas so far guys! I like the idea of trees although one issue I see (which I should have put in the first post) is that the corner in question is our sun trap. That corner gets sun for the majority of the day and early evening so I'm just about to put some garden furniture/loungers etc there. Assume its one or the other really? 

Also, not sure whether this an option but we have a small amount of land to work with the other side of the wall (pic to follow). Could we do anything this side?