Forum home Plants

Not sure what it is

evgevg Posts: 13
Hello, really not a gardener whatsoever so I have no idea what this is. I have just moved into a new home and don't want to go around changing things without first knowing what they are, the property was empty for a while, so I think it was dying along with the wilted Fuchsia which has sprung back to life with a bit of water.
Google images think it's trees from an ariel view so not much help lol, I'm sure It's something common, I live in North Scotland

• Heather?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    Yes - one of the many heathers - carneas/ericas. There are hundreds of varieties   :)
    Good old Google eh?  :D
    It's unlikely to be dead, but they benefit from a light trim after flowering. It looks like it just about at that stage now. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,493
    I agree with @Alan Clark2. Its definitely a white flowered heather possibly Erica cinerea Alba. That probably needs a good drink too but the brown bits are merely the flowers going over.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,175
    edited May 2022
    And don’t forget … white heather is supposed to bring you good luck 🤞 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• evgevg Posts: 13
    And don’t forget … white heather is supposed to bring you good luck 🤞 

"You can also find white heather growing wild but it's much less common - perhaps that's one of the reasons it's thought to be lucky."

Now I know what it is I had a look and thats what came up. Never seen it before and been all over Scotland for 20 years and now here it is right next to my gate...

Cheers for the replies
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,020
    I can't believe you've never seen white heather before!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• evgevg Posts: 13
    Fairygirl said:
    I can't believe you've never seen white heather before!

Maybe I was saving up all my luck