Forum home Plants

Repotting Acers and compost mix

2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
edited May 2022 in Plants
Hi 

I have several Acers that appear to have outgrown their pots and would like to pot them on.

I need advice on best compost mix for acers please and which brands of compost have you found to be good quality for acers. 

Thank you 

• Brand wise I can’t help you- we probably have different brands here in Ireland. 

I’ve been planting a couple of Acers myself in the last couple of days and what I read was that they like slightly acidic soil with good drainage, so I made a mix of 50% John Innes #3 compost and 50% standard Ericaceous compost. In fact I’m pretty sure that’s what’s recommended somewhere here on the GW website.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,939
    If they're staying potted long term, you need a mix that's soil based. As long as it isn't alkaline, anything will really do.  :)
    You can add some ericaceous compost or composted bark if you wish. A top dressing of bark is also beneficial to retain moisture in dry weather if you're in a dry area. It's also important for them to have good drainage, so you can add some grit if you want, and keeping them up off the ground - especially if they're on a hard surface is also important.
    The products you use will depend on where you are and what's available, but most GCs have J. Innes products.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....