Forum home Plants

Blossom and wind

alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
This is a random one but is all tree blossom as delicate from one species to another or will some stand up against wind better than others?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Good question, I await answers.
    My parents have lived in this property since 1987 we took over in 2010 and the first thing I said was I wanted fruit trees,  he said we could never have them here because it’s so exposed and windy, the blossom would be stripped before it had a chance.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    I think a lot depends on varieties and flowering times, like with frosts that kill blossom before fruit set.

We have planted 2 pear trees and an apricot in a row at the edge of our veg plot.  They managed to flower and drop most of their petals before the unusually late frosts we had here in April.  They also missed the heavy winds from named storms a bit earlier on but I saw other, taller fruit trees in or plot being laid bare by those winds and later ones.  Not too worry as they are bland cherries and Mirabelle plums to which the birds are welcome , if they set fruit.

The answer is probably to plant a shelter belt of mixed conifer and deciduous trees to act as a windbreak.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    Do you mean just fruit trees? I think trees and shrubs with smaller flowers do much better than the larger ones. 
  • alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
    @Posy
    Not necessarily fruit trees.
    Like @Lyn I live in Devon where it can be quite windy. 
    I am looking to plant several trees in the near future and am just keen to make the right choices which is difficult with so many lovely specimens to choose from. 
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    It's not an easy choice! I live in a really windy site, too, so I understand the problems. 
    I have a Magnolia and 3 amelanchiers. They cope with the wind.

My Wisteria grows well but it’s on the south facing wall.

I just got excited and thought you meant fruit trees.😀

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,571
    It's very windy here and the apples don't seem to care at all, the pollinators do but I've not seen the flowers getting blown off at all. the plums can lose a few.
    Thank you,   you must be colder there than us? 
    Will they grow in acid soil? 

• alfharris8alfharris8 Posts: 342
    @Lyn - I was thinking of fruit trees and ornamental flowerering trees too.
    We have two Apple trees - both the same and cookers but not sure exactly which variety. They seem to stand up OK but are tucked well away partial bordered by hedge so maybe a windbreak is the answer.

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,888
    @alfharris8 we planted a small orchard of many different fruit trees. The cold spells with the winds just goes straight through.
    Our garden is a frost pocket but we have managed to establish many good trees/shrubs.
    The frosts do take the fruiting trees badly but we still do get something....if the birds let us.