Forum home Problem solving

An imposter has appeared!

Hello all, I'm wondering if someone can identify a wildflower that has cropped up in place of last year's borage plants, an let me know if it's a friend or foe. I'm stumped! It appears to have yellow flowers coming.
Thank you everyone!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
    edited 9 May
    foxglove.
    If you lift up the lowest leaves and it's pale green, it's more likely to have white flowers. if there's a hint of purple to it, it'll be pink flowers
    Devon.
  • Fantastic, thank you for getting back! Should I be lifting them up then as I've got a toddler and I do not trust her not to stick her head in it or something. They're quite healthy specimens!
    leave them be, I'm sure you've taught your toddler never to eat anything in the garden. 
    Devon.
  • We're getting there! The garden hose is far too interesting at the moment, so that should provide a happy distraction. I know bees love them so if I can help it, I'd rather leave them. Thank you!
    enjoy. 
    Devon.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 670
    Once they flower and are pollinated they produce thousands of seeds. So deadhead most of the flowering part and just leave a few seed pods on to ripen if you want self seeders. The baby plants are easy to weed out or transplant. 
  • Great advice. I'm just wondering how they got here, I can't think of any neighbours that have foxgloves! Nature, eh  :)
    could be a " gift " from a bird?
    Devon.
  • Received gratefully! I'm going to miss my borage though, it was a beauty last year and was totally expecting a repeat performance.
    borage and foxglove seedlings look very similar. You might well have both 
    Devon.