Forum home Plants

(Very) tall grasses

carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
What tall grasses is everyone growing?

I've had both miscanthus x giganteus (giant grass) and arundo donax (giant Spanish reed) planted since last year and it's great to see how quickly they're taking off after being cut to the ground in early spring. They're a great alternative to bamboo for those looking for drama and height but are worried about aggressive runners from some bamboo types.

A fairly new to cultivation (AFAIK) tall grass is  triarrhena lutarioriparia (giant Chinese grass) which is pictured below. This one is at the top of my wanted list for this year.

An exotic jungle garden in West Yorkshire: instagram.com/carletonexotic 

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,760
    That's amazing - it would certainly block off the sight of my neighbour's "home office"!  The tallest grass I grow is Miscanthus sinensis zebrinus, so tiny by comparison, but I have several bamboos reaching about 3 meters in height.  Have you found a source for this giant grass?
  • carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
    That's amazing - it would certainly block off the sight of my neighbour's "home office"!  The tallest grass I grow is Miscanthus sinensis zebrinus, so tiny by comparison, but I have several bamboos reaching about 3 meters in height.  Have you found a source for this giant grass?
    The only nursery who seem to have it in the UK is Big Plant Nursery: https://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/shop/plants/flowers-and-grasses/triarrhena-lutarioriparia/

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,137
    @carletonexotic Wow that is tall I have already written it in my note book. I guess the question is... invasive or not hardy which I now consider with anything new.
    My tallest grass is Miscanthus Kleine Fontane, stunning in November. This year I managed to get Stipa Gold Fontaene which I hope will grow tall. The one grass I would not be without is Molinia The Rocket, the whole plant is a wonderful yellow/ gold in September/ October.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
    @carletonexotic Wow that is tall I have already written it in my note book. I guess the question is... invasive or not hardy which I now consider with anything new.
    My tallest grass is Miscanthus Kleine Fontane, stunning in November. This year I managed to get Stipa Gold Fontaene which I hope will grow tall. The one grass I would not be without is Molinia The Rocket, the whole plant is a wonderful yellow/ gold in September/ October.
    Hardy to -18℃ apparently. Comments on various German forums I've read (for they've been growing it there for a while) tell me a root barrier or large pot is needed. It does send out runners at a depth of about 15cm. 

I've added the grasses you mentioned to my list - you can't beat a bit of autumn interest!